I’ve just upgraded my server to a new version of Ubuntu. The downside is that this breaks all sorts of configurations. PHP has been upgraded to version 7 , which is nice, I guess. But Nginx didn’t like it much. For some odd reason it would keep one of my sites online and process it correctly through the CGI gateway, but not the other. Due to some caching business.
I’ve taken my filteresting blog offline for the time being. since runing SVRGN will suffice for now and its probably best to focus here for now.
Speaking of filteresting. I recently had another realisation when it comes to compatibility. The first version of filteresting was an experiment to learn to write ruby on rails. That was on version 2.3. In the meantime version 6.0 has been released… I’ll be fair and mention that 3.x.x is still supported. But learning a modifying framework is a serious pain in the ass. As slow-moving as PHP has been over the years, I’m considering it an advantage from this point forward.
Rails is notorious/loved for its “convention over configuration” principle. Which basically means that if the developers decide to do something different in a future version of rails, you, the user, have to swallow it or create your own workaround.
Over the years this has annoyed me to no end, as updates would randomly break my compatibility to the framework I was building on. Which is complete madness.
On more than one occassion have I thought : “If only you could code websites in C”. Being too much of a noob the last time I thought that, I’ve found out in the meantime that I actually can! Passing a path through CGI and interpreting it in my own program would save me a bazillion hours of time, with no fear of the framework shattering the ground my program is standing on. C Libraries tend to be quite slow to mature. Seeing the advantage yet?
Since filteresting has been standing still for a long time, this is the path I’m thinking of taking. I can either update all of my ruby code and be done by the time the new framework is released , or write my own interpreter. Doing some regex with that and replacing tags much like the “yield” tag in RoR/HAML makes a lot of sense in my head.
This means that I’m contemplating picking up filteresting again, more seriously this time. That will make this my fourth complete rewrite. With all the experience I’ve gotten in writing OO in C# , I can make a lot of headway by programming everything in C++ and doing the design in HAML, this whole project should become feasible once again, without me learning the nitty-gritty details of Ruby or Rails.
It would also make it really fast as compared to PHP/Ruby. Nice.
EDIT: I still to fix the darn rewrite rules in my new webserver…just not today.
EDIT 2: I fixed the rewrite, all the links should work once again. 22/8/16